ngIRCd is mainly being developed and tested on current versions of Linux, Mac OS X, and FreeBSD.
In addition ngIRCd has been successfully compiled and run on the following platforms:
- AIX (3.2.5 [IBM XL C Compiler])
- A/UX (3.x [Apple C Compiler, GNU C])
- FreeBSD (4.5 and newer on i386, x86_64 [GNU C])
- HP-UX (9.10, 10.20, 11.11 on hppa, m68k [HP-UX cc, GNU C])
- IRIX (6.5 [SGI MIPSpro C 7.30])
- Linux (2.x and newer; on hppa, i386, mipsel, powerpc, x86_64, ... [GNU C])
- Mac OS X (Darwin) (10.0 and newer on i386, powerpc, x86_64 [GNU C 2.95.x, 3.x, 4.x])
- NetBSD (1.5.2 and newer on alpha, i386, m68k, sparc, x86_64, ... [GNU C])
- OpenBSD (3.4 and newer on hppa, i386, powerpc, x86_64 [GNU C])
- Solaris (2.5.1 and newer on i386, sparc [GNU C])
- Windows mit Cygwin (GNU C)
As the ngIRCd complies to common UNIX standards and uses GNU automake and GNU autoconf, chances are that it can be ported to or adapted for further UNIXoid systems.
ngIRCd is designed for UNIXoid systems and the installation on a modern UNIX-like system, which is supported by GNU automake and GNU autoconf, shouldn't cause any problems.
Typically it looks like this:
tar xzf ngircd-<version>.tar.gz
Now, the executing server (normally
ngircd) should be in
The executing server has now been installed in
The configuration file
ngircd.conf is now expected in
the server directory
/usr/local/etc; an exemplary
configuration file can be found in the directory
Further comments on the installation and configuration can be found in the file INSTALL.
Documentation is compiled in the source package, some in the main directory (such as INSTALL, README, NEWS und COPYING), and some in the sub directory doc (such as SSL.txt, FAQ.txt and the exemplary configurations sample-ngircd.conf).
The documents of tha actual version can be found online here: