[ngIRCd-ML] Ngircd rehash/permission issues

Adam McGreggor lists at amyl.org.uk
Thu Jul 24 11:57:53 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:54:39PM -0400, Neuman1812 wrote:
> I Got ngircd to work,  but I think I may have miss compiled or
> mis-installed it.  I get this error
>
> Can't read configuration "/usr/local/etc/ngircd.conf": Permission denied

[...]

> Error writing PID file (/var/run/ngircd/ngircd.pid): Permission denied

Check that the user ngirc is running as can
    *   read    /usr/local/etc/ngircd.conf
    *   write   /var/run/ngircd/ngircd.pid

and that something stupid like SELinux or AppArmor isn't getting in
the way.

Something like

    for U in `ps auxwww | awk '/ngirc/ {print $1}'` ; do grep ^$U /etc/passwd ; done

might give you the username of the user under which ngirc is running.

But it's probably not running -- in which case use the username you
specified in config.

Then use chown to change the ownership of the files (a directory is a
file) -- something like

    chown ngirc-user /usr/local/etc/ngircd.conf
    chmod 640 /usr/local/etc/ngircd.conf    # sets perms.
    chown -R ngirc-user /var/run/ngircd/    # recursively set
    chmod 755 /var/run/ngircd/              # make dir writeable by user

ngirc-user should be the username that nginx will run as.

--
"What are the most essential things about acting?", Donald Sinden
asked John Gielgud, who responded (with hardly a pause), "Feeling