[ngIRCd-ML] Support for qwebirc?

Travis King onager at lavabit.com
Sun Nov 28 18:19:46 CET 2010

I'm planning on using ngircd(I've used it back on a VPS with release 13
or so before), as an ICB[1] wannabe with a web interface, as a simple
synchronous text chat system for a small group of people who are either
slackers(I am one too!) or not nerdic-inclined.

For this I would probably be using some OpenBSD(It just works, pretty
simple all around) box on my local network, with ngircd compiled as:

--disable-ircplus --with-openssl --without-zeroconf --without-ident
--without-pam --without-zlib --disable-ipv6

I would then set up 'proper' https on something like thttpd[2](is this a
good idea? I'd rather not deal with Apache) to host qwebirc[3]. It
would be https web only access to limit user confusion. If someone can
suggest a better web interface to IRC I would be open - but I'm looking
at qwebirc because Freenode uses it.

Has anyone done anything similar?

The only negative thing I can think of(right now) would be no DCC SEND
support for file transfers due to the web interface, but considering
everyone is behind broken networks anyway(NAT), we'll probably use some
private FTP.

Thank you.

PS: I wonder if --enable-strict-rfc would cause problems with qwebirc or
others, as I don't plan on having traditional IRC clients(except a
convenient bot) connect and I know it breaks mIRC. Then again, it
shouldn't matter, but it helped a friend when he only had telnet and a
copy of the RFCs - it also feels good in an OCD sort of way.

[1] http://www.icb.net/
[2] http://www.qwebirc.org/
[3] http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/

--