[ngIRCd-ML] setting nick maxlength?

Adam McGreggor lists at amyl.org.uk
Tue May 1 01:01:29 CEST 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 12:47:24AM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Adam McGreggor <adam at amyl.org.uk> wrote:
(and using the subscribed address this time!)

> > I'm back running a ngirc instance, and have encountered an annoyance.
> >
> > I want to be able to set the maximum allowed nick-length; it would only
> > appear to be set-able at compilation time, not through the config file.
>
> Yes -- its a compile-time constant.
> Unfortunately I am no longer able to contribute to ngircd. Out of interest:
> what value would you want to set?

Between 15-19, really. If I were recompiling, i'd probably set it at 19,
to make it a bit future proof. If it were config-file based, 15 (and
increment as needed)

> Perhaps the value should be increased by default in future versions of
> ngircd?

perhaps; 9 is a bit short, particularly if ngirc's to be adopted
(quickly) by 'big' networks with lots of users.

thanks,