[ngIRCd-ML] ngIRCd 0.8.2

Alexander Barton alex at barton.de
Thu Feb 3 11:22:42 CET 2005

Jens Kleine schrieb:

>>a) The limit of 512 bytes per command ("message") is defined in the
>>RFCs, so you'll most probably break clients (and other servers) as
>>well.
>>
>>b) Concerning the ngIRCd, you have at least to tweak COMMAND_LEN as
>>well (and possibly other code).
>
> Is there a way that clients get not kicked when trying to post more than 512
> bytes then?

Hm, you can try(!) to rise COMMAND_LEN (and the read and write buffers),
but I never tested this.

But please note: the client is violating the IRC protocol and definitely
broken when it tries to send more than 512 bytes per request to the
server. I know that the original ircd is more tolerant here (but
unpredictable!), but this is pure luck.

IMO it would make more sense to fix the client than to "break" the
server ;-)

Regards
Alex

--